Thank you for your interest in Big Other.
We have published work by Pulitzer Prize winners Rae Armantrout and Forrest Gander, National Book Award winner Daniel Borzutzky and Arthur Sze, Grand Master of Science Fiction and Fantasy Samuel R. Delany, and a host of other stellar writers, including Charles Bernstein, Cole Swensen, Edwin Torres, Norman Lock, Elaine Equi, Will Alexander, Andrew Joron, John Yau, Lance Olsen, Michael Martone, Stephanie Strickland, Debra Di Blasi, Victoria Redel, Terese Svoboda, Robert Lopez, Doug Rice, Marjorie Welish, Lisa Russ Spaar, Albert Mobilio, Osama Alomar, Ken Sparling, Kim Chinquee, J. A. Tyler, Joe Milazzo, Peter Markus, Curtis White, Michael Joyce, Sarah Blackman, Louis Armand, Miranda Mellis, Aimee Parkison, Elaine Castillo, and more.
We welcome submissions in poetry, fiction, nonfiction, lyric essay, art, video, short drama, and hybrid work from both established and emerging writers and artists. We are especially interested in experimental and innovative art, literary and otherwise.
We also accept reviews, interviews, book excerpts, and craft essays.
Big Other seeks to publish diverse voices, including works by women, people of color, and people who are queer, transgender, disabled, indigenous, international, and/or others underrepresented in literary magazines.
We accept and encourage simultaneous submissions, but please contact us immediately upon acceptance elsewhere. We charge a fee for most submissions. We are not a paying venue.
Big Other will hold exclusive rights (on the Internet and in print) to your piece for 90 days, after which you will retain the rights. Your story will remain archived online. Should your work be published in a collection at some later date, we’d appreciate the standard acknowledgment.
By submitting your work, you are acknowledging that you agree to all of the terms and conditions should we select to use your work for our publication.
We respond to all submissions within one year.
We are excited to announce the Big Other Book Awards 2020. This award aims to recognize excellence in literature and to promote and support the work of innovative writers and adventurous presses.
Here are the submission guidelines:
1. Books must be published between January 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020. E-books, audiobooks, and reissued editions will not be considered.
2. We will select one winner in each of the following categories:
• Graphic Novel
3. Books can be submitted by publishers and authors, although we reserve the right to honor any eligible book. There’s no limit to the number of titles a publisher or author may submit.
4. Two finished copies of each book submitted should be mailed directly here:
Big Other | c/o John Madera | 1840 W. 3rd Street, Brooklyn NY 11223. Galleys will not be considered.
5. The entry fee is $30 for each book. Be sure to attach a cover letter and a press release.
6. Publishers are urged to send their submissions as soon as possible after publication. Packages must be postmarked by December 31, 2020. There will be no extensions to this deadline.
6. Finalists will be announced in spring 2021. Winners will be announced at the Big Other Book Awards ceremony in the summer of 2021 (date and location tbd).
On May 16, 2020, the Big Other Book Awards Ceremony recognized excellence in literature published in 2019. During the livestreamed event (video below), we announced a winner in each of the following categories: fiction, graphic novel, poetry, nonfiction, and translation. A Readers' Choice Award and awards for lifetime achievement and outstanding service to the literary community were presented.
View the video of the ceremony HERE.
Less than 6,000 words.
Up to 6,000 words.
Up to 10 images, 6,000 words, or five minutes of audio or video.
Up to 20,000 words.
Up to 10 images.
Poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction up to 6,000 words.
We accept book, film, music, and art show reviews. Up to 6,000 words.
Up to 6,000 words.